SEXUAL ASSAULT CRISIS SERVICES
Statewide in English- 1-888-999-5545
En Español para Todo el Estado- 1-888-568-8332
Local New Britain- 860-223-1787
Local Hartford- 860-547-1022
You are not alone...
- 78 rapes are committed every hour in the United States
- Sexual assault crosses all classes and boundaries
- One-in-three girls and one-in-six boys will be sexually assaulted before the age of 18
- One-in-four women and one-in-six men will be sexually assaulted in a lifetime.
- 86% of victims know their attacker
YWCA New Britain's Sexual Assault Crisis Service (SACS) covers a 46-town region - all of Hartford County, part of Tolland County and the town of Plymouth. We offer assistance to sexual assault survivors and their loved ones. These services are critical after such trauma, helping victims and their families regain feelings of independence, optimism and hope. The advocates on staff are trained to work with hospital staff, the court system, public safety officers and other counselors assisting their clients.
SACS offers free, confidential service for victims of sexual assault, including:
- 24-hour English and Spanish confidential hotlines with immediate access to trained, certified counselors
- Bilingual and male counselors, and sign language interpreters available upon request
- Short-term, individual crisis counseling
- Support groups
- Counseling in school settings. Children may be referred by school faculty or parent/guardian.
- Accompaniment throughout medical, police and court procedures
- Information and referrals
- Campus advocacy
- Volunteer opportunities: State Certified Counselor training
The following guides may be useful resources, but they do not replace hotline or in-person counseling. If you are in crisis and need to speak to someone, please call the hotline.
- SACS Brochure (English)
- SACS Brochure (Spanish)
- Counselor Advocacy Training Brochure
- Support for Survivors: A Guide for Loved Ones of Survivors of Sexual Violence
- Statistics and Facts
- Criminal Justice System: A Guide for Teens